I’m often asked what theme or style a bride should choose for her day, which I find a difficult question to answer as really a theme should come from the heart, an expression of who you are as people and as a couple, an extension of your life together. However this can be hard to pinpoint, I personally love vintage but I also love some contemporary modern twists, I have soft pastels in my kitchen but head up the stairs and you are faced with a bright pink bathroom, so what would my style be if I were to have my wedding all over again and how do I achieve it?!
With many retail prices rocketing now, in the UK weddings cost an average of £25k and not many couples have this spare cash to hand! I strongly believe that weddings should not put you in to debt, they should be a celebration of what you love but also what you can afford. Many brides want to do something different and unique but how do you achieve this without spending a fortune? I always tell my brides to imagine that they could fill their home with all the things they love, this is maybe what their wedding should feel like, a surrounding of the things you love and that make you happy, however this is easier to visualise if you can add your own creativity and stamp on it, don’t follow the herd, be individual – a personal touch in your home or on your wedding day says a lot more, has a lot more impact and will be spoken about for months and years to come.
In the UK we have a wave of talented individuals coming out of the woodwork to start up small businesses crafting or making little items for the home, thank you recession! Busy mums at home making bunting, greeting cards and invitations for your special day. So even if you aren’t quite a master crafter you can still add your personal touch to your day in a few easy ways, some of which could be ….
*If you are having a fall wedding, try tying a string of apples to your chairs to add both colour and unique style, something different to plain covers
* Iced, personalised biscuits are becoming a favourite, covering both favour and place names in one go, excellent for budget conscious brides.
* Why not make your own bouquet! Many florists in the UK now offer tutorials in making your own arrangements, they provide the flowers and utensils but you add your own touch with their advice.
*Personalized guest books are ideal, hire a Polaroid camera and have your guests take a quick snapshot of themselves before adding a comment or two, add these to a scrap book and have a wonderful keepsake for life.
* Fingerprint trees are becoming very popular but why not have something a little different, how about a fingerprint guest book!
* Candy tables are an ideal way to treat your guests to a traditional sweet treat, make these personal by choosing candy to match your theme or colour scheme.
* Shoot your own video – in the UK we have Shoot it Yourself which is a company that loan you up-to-date video equipment so you can film your own wedding, they then edit it for you and tidy it up before sending it back to you, ready to watch and pass on to families. An ideal budget saver and chance for those budding film crew members of your family and friends to have a go at making a wedding video!
* Making your own invitations can save a large amount of budget, do you have an image that you love which can be simply transferred into an invitation design? Speak to your local stationer and see if they will reduce the cost if you design them yourselves, many will be happy to just print your work for you. Also check the sizes, some layouts cost more than others.
* Make your own table plan, there are many ways to do this, from vintage tags on an open suitcase to paper lined frames with simple stamped letters on, be creative here and see some of our favourites here for some inspiration.
Call in the help of family and friends, introduce a quiz or a competition instead of an entertainer and perhaps have a photo booth for guests to enjoy during the drinks reception. Have fun!
Brought To You By:
MyWedDeal, where you can save more than 50% on all your wedding services! Wedding Deals and discounts, specifically for our Wedding Community.