My Wed Deal asked one of our co-founder’s Courtney G, who started in the industry djing weddings to share some of his thoughts on finding a wedding DJ:
As a wedding DJ and Emcee, I’ve had the opportunity to be a part of a whole lot of “special days” over the last eight years. I really enjoy the job as a DJ; most weddings don’t really even feel like a job actually, but more like an opportunity to be the musical conductor of a really fun party. I’ve witnessed lots of moments that have made me laugh and smile, stand there in awe, and a select few that have brought a tear or two to my eye. Surprisingly, more of the latter has happened than I would have ever expected.
I would have never guessed before ever DJ’ing a wedding that there would be instances in total strangers’ nuptials and receptions in which I would find myself having those, “Are you crying? No, there’s just something in my eye” moments. But alas, it’s true. There are those occasions in the coming together of two people (who I’ve usually only met once or twice previously), that are so universally relatable and full of love, that even a big, ex-rugby playing, beer-drinking guy, can be brought to tears. I hope that your upcoming wedding has the fortune of including many of these magical moments.
Thus, I present to you the following Top 7 list:
The Top 7 Things that make this DJ cry at a wedding (subtle crying, of course):
1) When couples write their own incredibly poetic and wonderful vows to each other. Expressing your own vows can really bring out some of the simplest, most beautiful statements of love I’ve ever heard. (Even Hemingway would be moved by some of the ones I’ve heard)
2) When a family member who’s doing a toast mentions a Grandma or Grandpa that passed away recently, they say, “This person wasn’t able to be here with you today and celebrate in your love, but I know that wherever they are, they are smiling down on you and are very proud.” (This one always gets me, old people dying makes me sad)
3) Really well-done video montages. I think it’s the music to go along with the images of days-past. Music naturally makes you sentimental, hello movie soundtracks. So, then I find myself tearing up while watching pictures of people I’ve never even met. That’s weird right?! (Maybe that one’s just me?? Hmm, must be the music…)
4) When a really drunk person grabs the mic from me and starts singing along to “Living on a Prayer.” The crying comes from the fact that my ears are bleeding from this quite-possibly WORST duet with Bon Jovi I’ve ever heard…
5) When I hear an amazing, and totally unexpected, wedding toast. Some of you people should really think about careers in comedy writing!? I’m serious, Best Men and MOH’s will come up to me and say, “Oh my gosh, I’m seriously so nervous. This is going to be terrible!… I think I’m going to puke.” And then, they end up killing it. I’m always impressed at the amount of really good, funny speeches as compared to the ‘not-so’ ones. (oh, and the crying comes in from when my eyes start watering from laughing really hard)
6) The guy (or girl) who comes up to me incessantly throughout the night and always has the perfect song next. You know who you are! These people make me want to cry, although I usually don’t. I swear they think that they went to DJ school. When every first grader in the country was studying the alphabet and how to read, they were catching up on the best hip-hop jams of the 90′s. And these people are usually drunk, so they possibly don’t remember that they’ve already told you 3 times in the last 10 minutes to play “that Sweet Carolina song by Neil Young”. What?!
7) When I see a couple that is really perfect for each other and so in love. It’s one of those things that I can’t explain. Most couples seem really happy at their weddings, a really small few don’t (sad, but true), but every once in awhile, I’m afforded the luxury in my job to spend an evening with a couple that’s just “IT”. You can’t quantify it, you can’t explain it, you can’t describe all those things about them that work, but in the span of 1 night, you just see that those two, for whatever reason, are just totally perfect for each other right now… And that makes me a little teary-eyed, cause it’s a magical thing about life, and I love to be witness to that.
MyWedDeal, where you can save more than 50% on all your wedding services! Wedding Deals and discounts, specifically for our Wedding Community.